Simply Natural Bakery
The Learning Table
The Learning Table
|Posted on April 28, 2020 at 6:40 PM|
Many of us enjoy the beauty of fresh cut flowers and decorate our homes with these fragrant creations. It is estimated that approximately 69% of all Mother's Day gifts are in the form of fresh cut flowers (smartasset.com). Many of us spend upwards of $50 on a single bouquet.
If you are looking for a way to enjoy that beautiful fresh flower bouquet a little longer, just add one drop of an essential oil to the water to make them last longer. EO are derived from plants and protect them from harmful elements in the environment. EO like Tea Tree, Dill, Rosemary, Peppermint, and Citrus oils contain antioxidants and antibacterial properties, that when added to the water, enhance their life by preventing mold and bacteria growth and reducing oxidation.
Try these tips to enjoy the beauty of God's creation a little longer!
1. Trim the flowers at an angle to help them absorb the water and nutrients better. Arrange the fresh cut flowers in a clean vase or container.
2. Mix distilled water or filtered water with vinegar (whatever you have available). Distilled water or filtered water have fewer chemicals and minerals that can shorten the life of your flowers. The vinegar serves to reduce the pH of the water which also enhances their shelf life.
3. Add sugar to the water mixture (whatever you have available) which serves as a natural preservative. Then add 1 drop of an essential oil to the water mixture. Try an EO like Tea Tree, Dill, Rosemary, Peppermint or a Citrus Oil (Lemon, Lime, Grapefruit, Orange, or Mandarin).
4. Stir the water, vinegar, sugar and EO together until well mixed, Pour into the vase of fresh cut flowers. For every 8 ounces of water, add 2 tablespoons of vinegar, 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1 drop of an EO.
4. Change the water and trim the flowers about 1/4 inch evey 2 - 3 days to keep your flowers fresh. Enjoy!
The staff at Simply Natural